Sunday, March 8, 2015

Power (Automatic) Windows vs. Manual (Hand Crank) Roll-Up

Original Post Date:  December 14, 2013
 
I guess I'm an oddball about this subject because I've never liked vehicles with power windows. Yeah, I know, I'm screwed because almost every car/truck/SUV (or even ETV) has them now. I should probably rephrase my first sentence, as I actually like power windows when they work, but I don't like the repair costs and the aggravation that often comes with 'em! I miss the old-fashioned roll-up windows!

I think every vehicle that I have ever owned, has had at least some type of problem that involved power windows. Either one side doesn't work, it hangs up, gets off track or only works periodically, the motors burn up, etc. Back when cars used to always have the roll-up windows installed, I never heard of such mechanical debacles! Well, I've never actually owned a vehicle that had manual windows, but I've known a few people that did, and I have drove some that had them in the past. Either way, I've never heard of people having problems with the manual version.

What is the deal anyway? Oh, don't answer that. I understand that most people enjoy the convenience of not having to exert their self any more than they have to. Plus, having to use a roll-up style window on a modern vehicle with all the fancy features would seem a bit quaint to most folks. A lot of the humanoids like automatic doors that open for you, too. In public, I also like automatic doors because that is one less nasty door knob for your hand to touch or another panel to push, etc. But still, when it comes to my own vehicle, I have no problem rolling up or down the freakin' window. The sad part is, it would probably cost more to get that installed, but I don't really know.

I guess a person could go online and type "how to convert automatic windows to manual" or "how to replace automatic windows into a hand crank roll-up" and so on. Wait a minute, let me try that... Okay, cool. One website says: "Replacing power window motors with a manual crank can save money and time replacing continually burned-out motors. Since most automobile models have power windows as an option, the cranking mechanism of the window regulator is typically the same unit or similar. The average backyard mechanic can replace the power window motor with a hand crank in about an hour." Wow! Something tells me that it would take longer than an hour for most of us! Either way, you can find that website, here: How to Replace Power Windows with Manual (itstillruns.com)

Anyway, I'm just jovial "as all get out" right now because I'm going to have to put a few inches of plastic (or duct tape) on my car window later, because the dang thing will only go up 85% of the way! If I get mad, I may just break the whole window out and get an all-metal interior installed so it will be rain proof on the inside. Wait a minute, it is winter time right now. Cancel that last notion! LOL!

Image Credit: Bing Image Search using the 'free to use & share' function. [Modified by MS Paint]

---End of Post "Power (Automatic) Windows vs. Manual (Hand Crank) Roll-Up"

No comments:

Post a Comment