Personally, I've always thought that the standard bi-annual visits to the dentist is not only a waste of time and money, but could also cause more harm than good. Even though many people think it's best to see your dentist every 6 months, I disagree for a few reasons. Of course, going to the dentist can be a great thing when you are having problems or just need a good oral checkup, but that's not what this post is about. I've seen way too many people end up with several cavities that brushed all the time and went to the dentist at least twice a year. All of those ultrasonic tools and metal scrapers can't be good, when used in a frequent fashion to remove plague, tartar, etc. In fact, I'm pretty sure that they actually create tooth decay/cavities/caries in some cases.

I do understand that genetics also plays a big role in this, along with certain types of medications, and so on. The food & drinks we consume can definitely have a major impact, as well. For the most part, if you eat right and brush your teeth every day, you should rarely have to go to the dentist, in my opinion. I also don't like how they constantly radiate people with oral x-rays any chance they can get during their bi-annual visits. Sure, a few here and there may not be so bad, but I wouldn't want to increase the risk of having thyroid problems either, as it is well established that radiation and your thyroid doesn't mix very well. If you feel the need, ask for the thyroid guard when receiving oral x-rays. I'm not talking about the vest thingy they often use; I mean the separate one that goes over your neck.

Anyway, I just thought I'd bring this up. Personally, I try to stay away from those crazy dentists! Ha! If I can go a few decades without seeing one, that's fine with me! So, what do you think? Is there anybody else out there that thinks frequent dentist visits can cause more harm than good?

Abusive and sadistic dentist photo credit: www.movievortex.com/feature/dental-disasters/ [URL is no longer valid]

---End of Post "Frequent dentist visits can cause more harm than good?"