Saturday, January 17, 2015

V2V: Vehicle-to-Vehicle Technology



Now here is an upcoming technology that really steps it up a notch. It is called V2V and/or vehicle-to-vehicle technology. It is where all the new cars/trucks/SUVs being manufactured could be equipped with a device(s) and/or gear that will enable it to talk to other vehicles on the road to reduce vehicular crashes and to help motorists avoid traffic jams. WTF? Is this really necessary?

I'm not even a fan of the autonomous vehicles (self-driving cars), but the V2V technology will most likely play an important role in such things. However, a lot of newer models have already increased their safety levels, as stated here: "A growing number of cars and trucks are already fitted with forward collision warning systems, lane departure systems and other technologies that can alert a driver to a potential collision. Some vehicles can even apply brakes automatically if the driver doesn't respond quickly enough." To read more about this, go here: editorial.autos.msn.com/feds-want-vehicles-to-talk-to-one-another?icid=autos_5261 [link is no longer active]

Interestingly enough, a recent poll said that 9 out of 10 Americans would be very worried or deeply concerned about driving in an automatic self-driving vehicle. About 35% said that this type of technology also makes them leery about privacy issues and whatnot. When it comes to privacy, it wasn't just about the government, either. Insurance companies could also track where and how you drive, so I'd imagine that they could adjust your insurance rates/payments accordingly; yikes!

All in all, I just don't like this idea. I'm so glad that I prefer older vehicles with primitive technology. When I want high-tech travel, I just hop into my spaceship; ha!

Image Credit:  http://www.industryleadersmagazine.com/connect-vehicle-technology-to-prevent-vehicle-crashes/

Update: It has been nearly 7 years since I originally wrote this post, and I still continue to hear about occasional wrecks and malfunctions from these asinine autonomous vehicles. I also still feel the same way as I did a few years ago, with that being how I prefer older vehicles; ha! Currently, though, the prices on used automobiles has went through the roof due to other national, economic disasters, but we won't get into that on this blog. I almost feel like a time traveler coming back to this silly post, as it is nearly the year 2022 (11-3-21) while I'm typing this. 

Now back to the subject, this society is still hugely into acronyms and all of that, but zoom 7 years into the future and I still never hear anybody talking about V2V technology. Was all that previous hoopla & ballyhoo about V2V a misnomer or something?  Oh, well, maybe that's why this post never got any search traffic.  I mean, seriously, who in the hell is searching about V2V hooey? LOL! ---End of Update

---End of Post "V2V: Vehicle-to-Vehicle Technology"

1 comment:

  1. Over the last few months I've heard of several wrecks and hazardous road situations that solely occurred due to this asinine V2V technology and Autonomous Cars, etc. Dang, maybe this seemingly sophisticated Vehicle-to-Vehicle technology literally means artificially controlled bumper to bumper accidents, instead; ha!

    ReplyDelete