Sunday, March 8, 2015

Cooking with Yardlong (Snake) Beans

First of all, I'm not exactly sure what to call these freaky beans. Some people simply call them yardlong beans while others may refer to this legume as asparagus beans, snake beans, long-podded cowpeas, Chinese long beans, and so on.
Actually, they are not really a yard long, but they are really long green beans nonetheless! When I first seen them, I thought of little garter snakes; ha! A friend of mine that owns a grocery store gave me a few the other day, since some guy offered him a bunch of them for free (just a small sample for cooking purposes in hopes to sell in bundles, I'm assuming).
At any rate, I cut them into normal-sized pieces and cooked them just like I would fresh-picked green beans. So, what is the big deal? Nothing, really. They are good, like green beans, so I guess what makes them so interesting is the way they grow and the size they are. 
You can read more about that, here: Asparagus bean - Wikipedia

Image Credit: My own photo.

Update: I've recently been updating each blog post on here, checking for broken links, adding content, etc., and I quickly realized how bad this post sucked. I must say, it is by far the worst post on this blog. Dang, I should have just deleted it. I don't know why I didn't elaborate more about any of this when I first posted it. Look at the title of this post... I mean, I didn't talk much about cooking or the yardlong beans. Hell, I would have been better off talking about a snake out in the yard, as it would have been about as relevant to the post title as anything else. In fact, even the Wikipedia page I linked to didn't have very much to say, which is rare, as Wikipedia is known for being long-winded; ha! 

Actually, if I remember correctly, I think the main reason for this super-short post was just to show a picture of these because, at the time, it was the first green beans I've ever seen that was that freakin' long. Instead of deleting or rewriting this page, I think I'll just link to a semi-related post that I wrote on another blog of mine. Instead of talking about cooking beans, it talks more about growing them, here:
---End of Update

---End of Post "Cooking with Yardlong (Snake) Beans"

1 comment:

  1. When it comes to growing and cooking or preserving green beans, I prefer to go with the 'stringless' Contender Bush Beans. They don't need staking and/or growing support as they simply grow into compact bushes, and they are really tasty nor do they need to be cut into a bunch of pieces like the Yardlong / Snake Beans do; cheers!

    ReplyDelete