Tuesday, March 17, 2015

The Art of Lucid Dreaming

In this case, the title of this post can cover two different aspects of lucid dreaming. When I say "the art of," I mean the skill acquired by experience or study. However, there really is a lot of cool artwork that is also associated with lucid dreaming, so it is a win-win title for this post; ha!

I thought about this topic the other day, when somebody mentioned LD on a recent post of mine about out-of-body experiences on another website.  Even though that particular comment didn't actually relate to the subject at hand, it did fall under the same genre of consciousness/sub-conscious. In a thumbnail, lucid dreaming is simply defined as dreaming while being fully aware that you are dreaming. In that sense, you can control your dreams and really experience some fantastic adventures all while in a state of sleep. Yeah, calm down fellow parapsychology experts, as this doesn't really involve you this time; ha! Some critics and skeptics may argue that you are not actually sleeping and you're in a state of wakefulness, but how would they know?

When I was a kid, I used to do this on occasions without even knowing there was some guru-filled niche called "lucid dreaming." I used to just say as a child, "Man, it is so cool when you can control your dreams. You got to keep trying to remember you are dreaming and if you figure it out during the process, you can really do some wicked shit." LOL! Yeah, "controlling your dreams" doesn't sound as phenomenal as "lucid dreaming," with or without the "art of" concept, but whatever.

I have seen many books that were being sold over this subject and now the Internet is littered with loads of lucid dreaming how-to advice. As an adult, I must admit, I couldn't care less about this type of dreaming as I'm more concerned about if I'm going to actually get some sleep, period! At any sub-conscious rate, if you need some how-to advice, I'll go find a resource online. Ha! Here is one that claims to have 18 steps: www.wikihow.com/Lucid-Dream

Dang, after viewing all of the how-to advice on that other website, I think it would be more interesting to just go check out all of the art within this genre. At least the artwork is awesome, right? Don't get me wrong, that website provided totally decent how-to advice for lucid dreaming, as it kind of reminded me of how I used to be able to do this as a kid (without any advice). I must say, though, unlike a lot of the recommendations concerning this subject, I have never kept a "dream journal." I still don't know how that would benefit the art of perfecting the surreal aspects of lucid dreaming, unless you just like reading your own dream history. This whole "art of" stuff is really about unravelling the ability to enjoy this dreaming experience, so I doubt that reading your dream archives will help outside of confusing the hell out of you; ha! Anyway, if anybody has any helpful advice for the ones that may be interested in this subject, feel free to share. In the meantime, I think I'll just stick with daydreaming... ZZZ...

Image Credit: Bing Image Search using the 'free to share & use' function.

---End of Post "The Art of Lucid Dreaming"

No comments:

Post a Comment